Healthiest State Initiative chooses five leaders
Friday, December 07, 2012 7:00 AM
Wish your boss would treat you more like a partner at work?
Stay tuned, because workplace well-being is one of five key priorities, including finding ways to make sure more Iowans visit the dentist and eat their vegetables, aimed at making Iowa the healthiest state in the nation.
A five-member cabinet has been appointed to advise the Healthiest State Initiative board.
Iowa currently ranks 16th among states for well-being as measured by a national survey known as the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index. The goal is raise that rank to No. 1 by 2016.
Priority areas to improve Iowans’ well-being include:
• Decreasing the number of Iowans who smoke.
• Increasing Iowans’ consumption of fruits and vegetables to five or more servings daily at least four days a week.
• Increasing the number of Iowans who are learning something new or interesting every day.
• Increasing the number of Iowans who have visited the dentist in the past 12 months.
• Increasing the number of working Iowans who feel their boss treats them like a partner at work.