2012 Forty Under 40 Winner: Becki Brommel
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:00 AM
Age 36 | Attorney, Brown Winick law firm
Rebecca Brommel is an attorney specializing in civil litigation at the BrownWinick law firm in Des Moines, where she first went to work as a clerk in 2000 and has worked as an attorney for the last 11 years. She was voted in as a member of the firm in 2007.
Those are key dates, because they point to the fact that her career has been spent with one firm, and she is proud of that kind of dedication, possibly owing to her upbringing on a farm near St. Mary’s in Warren County.
Brommel comes from a large family, and she relishes the time she spends with sisters and cousins each year.
Much of her volunteer work also centers on health organizations. Her mother, Shirley, died of colon cancer when Brommel was a junior at Drake University. She would receive a David W. Opperman scholarship to attend Drake Law School, where she was among the top five graduates.
For additional inspiration, Brommel looks to her sisters, Lori Jordan and Jolene Gehringer, who are breast cancer survivors.
“They are very strong women,” Brommel said. “They get up and go to work every day; they give back to the community.”
Brommel is a member of the board of governors of Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute, Women for Wish Kids steering committee, Variety -- The Children’s Charity, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Walk Now for Autism and the Iowa Mission of Mercy, and she provides pro bono legal services for Immaculate Conception Church in St. Mary’s.
Five reasons she’s a 40:
• Finished college and law school after her mother, Shirley, died in 1996.
• Graduated magna cum laude from Drake Univesity.
• Graduated with highest honors from Drake University Law School.
• Has worked for one law firm throughout her career.
• All community activities. “I can’t think of one thing that is more important than the other.”
In what is called the Brommel girls weekend, Rebecca and as many as 15 sisters and cousins put on matching T-shirts and shop, dine and carry on over a weekend.
Meet the 2012 Forty Under 40 Honorees
• Michael Abbott - Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
• Sondra Ashmore - IBM Corp.
• Shannon Baird - JE Dunn Construction Co.
• J. Eric Boehlert - Ahlers & Cooney P.C.
• Nataliya Boychenko - Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc.
• Becki Brommel - BrownWinick
• Catherine Cownie - BrownWinick
• Spencer Cox - Vending Services Inc.
• Scott Crawford - RDG Planning & Design
• Tony Dickinson - Wells Fargo Bank
• Shannon Duval - Mercy Foundation
• Meg Fitz - Greater Des Moines Partnership
• Tim Hayes - McLellan Marketing Group
• Christi Hegstad - MAP Professional Development Inc.
• Naura Heiman Godar - StruXture Architects LLC
• Danielle Hermann - OPN Architects Inc.
• Sara Kobilka - Science Center of Iowa
• Liz Lidgett - Kum & Go LC
• Holly Logan - Weinhardt & Logan P.C.
• Matthew Marckmann - Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
• Bryan Michael - Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.
• Ben Milne - Dwolla Corp.
• Suzanne Mineck - Mid-Iowa Health Foundation
• Nikki Miras Mordini - Davis Brown Law Firm
• David Nelmark - Belin McCormick P.C.
• Anthony Nguyen - Wells Fargo Bank
• Lynh Nguyen Patterson - Delta Dental of Iowa
• Matt Nuetzman - InFocus Partners
• Brad Phillips - Farm Bureau Financial Services
• Tina Potthoff - MidAmerican Energy Co.
• Erin Schneider - Censeo Solutions Inc.
• Steve SchraderBachar - Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Inc.
• Jamie Schug - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority
• Kristina Stanger - Nyemaster Goode P.C.
• Nate Stewart - Perishable Distributors of Iowa Ltd.
• Jason Stone - Davis Brown Law Firm
• Mellisa Stover - Bankers Trust Co.
• Tray Wade - Hospice of Central Iowa
• Eric Wieland - Federal Emergency Management Agency
• Geoff Wood - Silicon Prairie News
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2016 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer