2012 Forty Under 40 Winner: Danielle Hermann
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:00 AM
Age 33 | Project architect, OPN Architects Inc.
It’s difficult to miss Danielle Hermann’s handiwork.
An architect with OPN Architects Inc. and, before that, Herbert Lewis Kruse Blunck (HLKB) Architecture Ltd., Hermann has participated in the renovation of Hoyt Sherman Place auditorium, the Salisbury House & Gardens and Terrace Hill.
But her involvement goes beyond what we see in brick and stone.
Hermann was a founder of Iowa Women in Architecture, an organization aimed at bringing women out of the shadows and keeping them in the profession. Prior to that, she founded a mentorship program and helped launch the Iowa chapter of the American Institute of Architects’ diversity committee.
She also found time to lecture at Iowa State University. Hermann and her husband, Joe, have two daughters: Lily, 6, and Claire, 4. Spare time is reserved for the girls and spending time with relatives.
Hermann’s interest in historic places started in college, where she also examined the role that women play in architecture. For one, they have few role models when they are young to suggest that they might find a career in architecture. And those who do make it into the profession often leave, frustrated by long hours that interfere with family time.
Hermann wants to set an example.
“I just feel a need to give back. I was pretty lucky in having good role models and strong influences in my life,” she said. “You think back and think about where you might have landed had you not had a few key people supporting you.”
Five reasons she’s a 40:
• Founder and chair of the Iowa Chapter of American Institute of Architect’s diversity committee.
• Founding a mentorship program with Iowa State University.
• Founder and charter member of Iowa Women in Architecture.
• I Have a Dream Foundation board member.
• Salisbury House & Gardens capital campaign committee.
“Most people are amused by the fact that I am an identical twin.”
Meet the 2012 Forty Under 40 Honorees
• Michael Abbott - Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
• Sondra Ashmore - IBM Corp.
• Shannon Baird - JE Dunn Construction Co.
• J. Eric Boehlert - Ahlers & Cooney P.C.
• Nataliya Boychenko - Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc.
• Becki Brommel - BrownWinick
• Catherine Cownie - BrownWinick
• Spencer Cox - Vending Services Inc.
• Scott Crawford - RDG Planning & Design
• Tony Dickinson - Wells Fargo Bank
• Shannon Duval - Mercy Foundation
• Meg Fitz - Greater Des Moines Partnership
• Tim Hayes - McLellan Marketing Group
• Christi Hegstad - MAP Professional Development Inc.
• Naura Heiman Godar - StruXture Architects LLC
• Danielle Hermann - OPN Architects Inc.
• Sara Kobilka - Science Center of Iowa
• Liz Lidgett - Kum & Go LC
• Holly Logan - Weinhardt & Logan P.C.
• Matthew Marckmann - Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
• Bryan Michael - Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.
• Ben Milne - Dwolla Corp.
• Suzanne Mineck - Mid-Iowa Health Foundation
• Nikki Miras Mordini - Davis Brown Law Firm
• David Nelmark - Belin McCormick P.C.
• Anthony Nguyen - Wells Fargo Bank
• Lynh Nguyen Patterson - Delta Dental of Iowa
• Matt Nuetzman - InFocus Partners
• Brad Phillips - Farm Bureau Financial Services
• Tina Potthoff - MidAmerican Energy Co.
• Erin Schneider - Censeo Solutions Inc.
• Steve SchraderBachar - Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Inc.
• Jamie Schug - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority
• Kristina Stanger - Nyemaster Goode P.C.
• Nate Stewart - Perishable Distributors of Iowa Ltd.
• Jason Stone - Davis Brown Law Firm
• Mellisa Stover - Bankers Trust Co.
• Tray Wade - Hospice of Central Iowa
• Eric Wieland - Federal Emergency Management Agency
• Geoff Wood - Silicon Prairie News
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2012 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer