2012 Forty Under 40 Winner: Jamie Schug
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:00 AM
Age 39 | Chief financial officer, DART
Jamie Schug has always been attracted to working in public service.
Given her 10 years spent as a budget analyst and budget manager with the city of West Des Moines, coupled with having worked for the Ames bus system, CyRide, while a student at Iowa State University, the Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority (DART) provided a good opportunity for Schug.
She took over as DART’s chief financial officer in 2010, and recently completed her second budget cycle with the organization.
Why public service?
“I think it’s just that extra little reward that you feel knowing that you are doing good for the community as a whole,” Schug said. “I think the exciting thing about working at DART is there’s so much going on right now that you can make an impact immediately.”
Though this budget cycle has been challenging with the need to add service and close a five-year budget gap, Schug enjoys the process of communicating the message of what the budget means to the community at large.
She credits her experiences with the city of West Des Moines for teaching her how to relate to people. She learned how to convey information to all the department heads, the city manager’s office and the City Council.
Schug is involved in United Way of Central Iowa’s Women’s Leadership Connection, serving on the organization’s investment committee. The Women’s Leadership Connection is focused on providing education for children before they start kindergarten.
She’s also training for her first marathon, a goal that she set for herself when she turned 30 to accomplish by the time she turned 40.
Five reasons she’s a 40:
• Manages all aspects of financial operations at DART.
• Sits on investment committee for United Way of Central Iowa’s Women’s Leadership Connection.
• One of only 476 financial professionals to be a certified public finance officer through the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada.
• Graduated from the West Des Moines Leadership Academy in 2010.
• “Jamie has established a pattern of excellence in her professional life,” said Claire Celsi, director of marketing and community partnerships at DART.
While working for the city of West Des Moines, Schug participated in the West Des Moines Citizens Police Academy and Citizens Fire Academy, which helped her appreciate other parts of city operations.
Meet the 2012 Forty Under 40 Honorees
• Michael Abbott - Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
• Sondra Ashmore - IBM Corp.
• Shannon Baird - JE Dunn Construction Co.
• J. Eric Boehlert - Ahlers & Cooney P.C.
• Nataliya Boychenko - Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc.
• Becki Brommel - BrownWinick
• Catherine Cownie - BrownWinick
• Spencer Cox - Vending Services Inc.
• Scott Crawford - RDG Planning & Design
• Tony Dickinson - Wells Fargo Bank
• Shannon Duval - Mercy Foundation
• Meg Fitz - Greater Des Moines Partnership
• Tim Hayes - McLellan Marketing Group
• Christi Hegstad - MAP Professional Development Inc.
• Naura Heiman Godar - StruXture Architects LLC
• Danielle Hermann - OPN Architects Inc.
• Sara Kobilka - Science Center of Iowa
• Liz Lidgett - Kum & Go LC
• Holly Logan - Weinhardt & Logan P.C.
• Matthew Marckmann - Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
• Bryan Michael - Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.
• Ben Milne - Dwolla Corp.
• Suzanne Mineck - Mid-Iowa Health Foundation
• Nikki Miras Mordini - Davis Brown Law Firm
• David Nelmark - Belin McCormick P.C.
• Anthony Nguyen - Wells Fargo Bank
• Lynh Nguyen Patterson - Delta Dental of Iowa
• Matt Nuetzman - InFocus Partners
• Brad Phillips - Farm Bureau Financial Services
• Tina Potthoff - MidAmerican Energy Co.
• Erin Schneider - Censeo Solutions Inc.
• Steve SchraderBachar - Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Inc.
• Jamie Schug - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority
• Kristina Stanger - Nyemaster Goode P.C.
• Nate Stewart - Perishable Distributors of Iowa Ltd.
• Jason Stone - Davis Brown Law Firm
• Mellisa Stover - Bankers Trust Co.
• Tray Wade - Hospice of Central Iowa
• Eric Wieland - Federal Emergency Management Agency
• Geoff Wood - Silicon Prairie News
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2016 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer
Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software,
All Rights Reserved