2012 Forty Under 40 Winner: Nate Stewart
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:00 AM
Age 36 | President, Perishable Distributors of Iowa
Before Nate Stewart was president of Perishable Distributors of Iowa (PDI), Hy-Vee Inc.’s largest subsidiary, he mowed the grounds at the company’s headquarters. He also worked in a Hy-Vee warehouse during college and did the graveyard shift at a Hy-Vee gas station.
However, after college, Stewart went down a different route and became a funeral director. Although he enjoyed it, he said he missed the energy and pace of working in retail, so after three years, he went back to his roots and worked at a Hy-Vee supermarket in Ankeny.
He quickly worked his way up the corporate ladder and, in October 2011, he became the president of PDI, which distributes meat, seafood, dairy products and frozen food throughout the state.
“He has been an incredible force within the Hy-Vee organization,” wrote Mary Hunter, executive director of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, in a nomination letter. “He is respected among his industry colleagues, Hy-Vee peers, executives and friends.”
But getting to where he is now hasn’t been easy. Stewart said he has moved seven times in the last 10 years, working in Omaha, Kansas City and Sioux Falls, among other Midwestern cities.
“I missed the familiarity,” he said. “It was almost like being abroad. I missed reading the paper and knowing where the high schools were in a sports story. I missed the memories associated with them.”
However, Stewart found time to help out even as he moved from city to city. He’s involved with the Knights of Columbus, the Variety -- The Children’s Charity telethon and is a past board member of Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Greater Iowa chapter.
But now that he’s staying put for a while, he said he’s excited to get involved in the community.
“I’m excited to be involved with my kids’ schools,” he said. “I’m just ready to give back to the community.” Stewart and his wife, Erin, have two children: Quinn, 9, and Jillian, 6.
Five reasons he’s a 40:
• Quickly rose through the ranks from assistant manager of a Hy-Vee supermarket to president of Perishable Distributors of Iowa.
• Past board member of Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Greater Iowa chapter.
• Recipient of 2011 Hy-Vee Officer of the Year award in operations.
• Volunteer for Variety – The Children’s Charity telethon.
• Active with the Knights of Columbus.
Stewart is naturally left-handed, but has trained himself to write using his right hand. “My handwriting is actually better when I use my right hand,” he said.
Meet the 2012 Forty Under 40 Honorees
• Michael Abbott - Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
• Sondra Ashmore - IBM Corp.
• Shannon Baird - JE Dunn Construction Co.
• J. Eric Boehlert - Ahlers & Cooney P.C.
• Nataliya Boychenko - Holmes Murphy and Associates Inc.
• Becki Brommel - BrownWinick
• Catherine Cownie - BrownWinick
• Spencer Cox - Vending Services Inc.
• Scott Crawford - RDG Planning & Design
• Tony Dickinson - Wells Fargo Bank
• Shannon Duval - Mercy Foundation
• Meg Fitz - Greater Des Moines Partnership
• Tim Hayes - McLellan Marketing Group
• Christi Hegstad - MAP Professional Development Inc.
• Naura Heiman Godar - StruXture Architects LLC
• Danielle Hermann - OPN Architects Inc.
• Sara Kobilka - Science Center of Iowa
• Liz Lidgett - Kum & Go LC
• Holly Logan - Weinhardt & Logan P.C.
• Matthew Marckmann - Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
• Bryan Michael - Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.
• Ben Milne - Dwolla Corp.
• Suzanne Mineck - Mid-Iowa Health Foundation
• Nikki Miras Mordini - Davis Brown Law Firm
• David Nelmark - Belin McCormick P.C.
• Anthony Nguyen - Wells Fargo Bank
• Lynh Nguyen Patterson - Delta Dental of Iowa
• Matt Nuetzman - InFocus Partners
• Brad Phillips - Farm Bureau Financial Services
• Tina Potthoff - MidAmerican Energy Co.
• Erin Schneider - Censeo Solutions Inc.
• Steve SchraderBachar - Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Inc.
• Jamie Schug - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority
• Kristina Stanger - Nyemaster Goode P.C.
• Nate Stewart - Perishable Distributors of Iowa Ltd.
• Jason Stone - Davis Brown Law Firm
• Mellisa Stover - Bankers Trust Co.
• Tray Wade - Hospice of Central Iowa
• Eric Wieland - Federal Emergency Management Agency
• Geoff Wood - Silicon Prairie News
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2016 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer