2012 Forty Under 40 Winner: Tray Wade
Friday, March 16, 2012 7:00 AM
Age 39 | Vice president of patient and family care, HCI Care Services
Tray Wade does his best to help terminally ill Iowans and their families find comfort in their final days.
As vice president for patient and family care at the Hospice of Central Iowa, Wade oversees clinical operations in 35 Iowa counties. He provides leadership and support to 275 employees and more than 500 volunteers.
“Through his work, Tray helps central, south-central and southeastern Iowans and their families coping with life-limiting illnesses find quality of life in their remaining days,” wrote Norene Mostkoff, president and CEO of the Hospice of Central Iowa, in a nomination letter.
He was also a driving factor behind the creation of the Hospice-Veteran Partnership of Central Iowa, an organization that assists veterans by providing end-of-life care. Wade said one of his facilities oversaw a veteran several years ago who suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder(PTSD) and guilt.
“It got me thinking of the special needs our veterans have,” he said. So Wade collaborated with a doctor from the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center to provide the best quality care for veterans. He said they pooled resources to provide education for his employees and better communication between the two organizations.
Wade’s efforts toward increasing veterans’ access to end-of-life care recently resulted in Central Iowa receiving a $34,000 grant that is offered through the National Hospice and Palliative Care Association. He also implemented a Veteran-to-Veteran volunteer program to help support veterans at the end of their lives.
Outside of work, Wade sits on the board of Amanda the Panda, an organization that offers services for children, teens, adults and families struggling with a death of a loved one.
“I’m very passionate about supporting people who have experienced a loss,” he said.
Five reasons he’s a 40:
• Wade provides clinical leadership for a provider of end-of-life care for patients in 35 Iowa counties.
• Wade is the founder and co-chair of the Hospice-Veteran Partnership of Central Iowa.
• Spearheaded an effort that brought a $34,000 grant to the Hospice of Central Iowa. The grant was used to enhance services for veterans in need of end-of-life care.
• On the board of directors, development committee and marketing committee for Amanda the Panda.
• Wade has a bachelor’s degree in psychology from the University of Northern Iowa; a master’s degree in rehabilitation counseling from the University of Iowa; and a master’s degree in health administration from Des Moines University.
Wade said he’s a huge sports fan. In addition to holding season football tickets to watch the Iowa Hawkeyes, he has attended games in 14 major league baseball stadiums.
The Depot at 4th, 100 4th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309 | (515) 288-3336 | © 2017 Business Record. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer
Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software,
All Rights Reserved